Healthy Hummus Jalapeño Poppers &
Roasted Tomato Dipping Sauce
submitted by jerryjamesstone
1 can garbanzo beans (reserving ¼ cup)
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp salt
Roasted Tomato Sauce
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 pearl onion
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
¼ tsp corn starch
Jalapeño Poppers with Garbanzo Crust
4 jalapeño peppers
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
¼ cup olive oil
pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper
1. To make the hummus, combine the garbanzo beans, olive oil and salt into a food processor and puree until the mixture is smooth and whipped.
2. To make the sauce, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small fry pan over a medium heat. Add the grape tomatoes and pearl onion, cooking until charred on both sides. Transfer to a food process and puree until very smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and cook over a medium heat, adding in salt, tomato paste, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer and whisk in corn starch to thicken.
3. Slice jalapeño peppers, removing seeds and pith. Fill each one with hummus.
4. In a small fry pan, heat ¼ cup olive oil over a medium high heat. Add in ¼ cup of reserved garbanzo beans and fry for about 2 minutes, til golden brown. Transfer to paper lined bowl. Add flour, bread crumbs, fried garbanzo beans and a pinch of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to food processor. Pulse until beans are ground.
5. Whisk together egg and milk. Dip stuffed jalapeños in the egg mix and then roll them in the garbanzo-flour mix, shaking off any excess. Bake all poppers on a prepared baking sheet for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F, until golden brown.
6. Serve poppers with tomato sauce drizzled over the top.